Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Cars: You Knew This Was Coming


It’s one thing for a young man to be in love with his car. It’s another thing when that young man decides to make cars his life calling.

That’s pretty much what Bill Bean did. Starting from that age which conjures up some sort of magnetism between cars and guys, Bill was always headed in whatever direction would lead him closer to the subject he loved.

There are quite a few photographs in the Bean family photo box that have proved to be absolutely no mystery to me, for I’ve always known about the car dealership in Alameda that Bill owned, along with his partner. While in the later days when I knew him, the only car it was permissible for anyone in the family to drive was a Chrysler, what I didn’t know was that Bean and Cavanaugh got their start not as a Chrysler dealership, but with Plymouths and DeSotos.


8 comments:

  1. Ah, gotta love the look of an auto showroom! Being able to forge a career and a life out of his passion for cars must have brought Bill a great deal of satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, it was a lifelong pursuit. Even in semi-retirement, he had his finger on the pulse of that world of automobiles.

      Delete
  2. Now that is some history! My husband is coveting that Desoto sign..he used to have a 1959 Desoto! What a wonderful old photo! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell Far Guy I wish I could have gotten it for him! I've never even seen the place, though...

      Delete
  3. A great time for reminiscing. Back to the times when you could make repairs to your car without taking it to a dealership.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya, Charlie. That certainly was a time for the do-it-yourself crowd. More reasonably priced, too, I might add.

      Delete
  4. Being a hoosier, born and bred in the shadow of the Indy 500, I totally get the whole "car as identity and holy grail" thing! Your stories make me smile
    Thanks!
    Kassie aka "Mom"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kassie! With the Indy 500 practically in your blood, I know you can relate!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...