Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Go See That Show

Frank Stevens, in this letter home in March of 1944 from the Navy base at St. Thomas, has just seen a World War II film which includes action in the same south Pacific arena where he will shortly be serving. Truth may not be stranger than fiction, but mixing the two doesn’t seem to bother Frank. Thinking his mother will naturally take this same point of view, he recommends the movie heartily to her.

I’m still trying to piece together some of the names Frank has mentioned in all his letters. He referred once before to Donna Grescoe, and I’m thinking today’s letter is talking about the same girl. As for the cousin Frank is planning on visiting in Miami, the only guess I have is his mom’s sister Mary Monica’s namesake daughter, who married a man named Davis and eventually moved to the Miami area. However, chances that they were there in the spring of 1944 are slim, serving to show me that there is a lot more I need to learn about this extended family.

One thing that is not a mystery about this young Navy man: he really, really wants to get back home!


We also had a good show last night “A guy named Joe” with Spencer Tracey and Irene Dunn. Mom go see that show and You will never regret it. I thought it was swell and so darn human. Irene Dunn gave a wonderfull proformance and Spencer Tracey had a roll that was made for him. Gosh this must be one of those spells I’ve got it seems that I can write and write more today I’ve got a lot of letters to get out so I guess this is a good time to do it. I received some pictures from Donna and she is starting to grow up. She is going to be a good looking chick when she gets thru growing up. I’m glad that You liked the pictures I sent and when I am home next Mom Dad + I are going to get all decked out and go over to some tony studio and get our pictures taken together is it a date? I’ve got to stop in Miami and get a new set of blues and If I can get our cousin’s address in Miami I’ll stop over and see them. Just think I’ll have 30 days leave which means at least 22 at home HOME. I think that coming back to this Rock is or rather was the hardest thing I ever had to do but my time down here is almost up now and I’m so happy I could bust. Well I guess I’ll have to sign off now So Yo tai Amo Mucho
                                                                        From Your sailor boy
                                                                                    Frank
P.S. see – You soon..

2 comments:

  1. http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=U1ARTU0001448 indicates Donna Grescoe (if Frank hasn't been playfull with his spelling) was in the Chicago area at least for "several years" starting in 1938-

    http://www.newspaperarchive.com/SiteMap/FreePdfPreview.aspx?img=107904616 has a poor photo of her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Iggy: thanks for posting those links. Yes, I knew that about Donna Grescoe. It may be a shot in the dark to assume that these letters are referring to her, but I also have to remember that Frank's mom was also once a touring violinist, and in her later years the family did take in boarders, mostly students. One reason why I can hardly wait to see the 1940 census!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...