Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Farther Away, The Dearer

It’s December 15, 1944, and young Navy Pharmacist’s Mate Francis X. Stevens is writing another letter home, this time from somewhere in the South Pacific. Though he’s been away from home for nearly three years now, Frank still finds opportunities to be the big brother to his six-years-younger sibling, Chip, back in Chicago. From time to time, he also manages to find a few words to say about the rest of his siblings, and the extended family, too. For that matter, he has quite a bit to say about all the neighbors he remembers, too. Chalk that up to being a socially-inclined, friendly guy.

Or maybe a lonely sailor weary of being so far away from home for so long…
 

How is Aunt Lill, fine I hope. Pat tells me that Chip is a big help at home and I’m glad to hear it as he has got to take my place until I get back. I’m glad he is a good boy and not as wild as his next oldest brother was. I’ve got to write a letter to grandma as I’m afraid I’ve neglected her and she might be hurt also Miss Costello she is such a sweet old gal its funny but I must have touched the chord of her dormant maternal instinct evidentally she thinks quite a bittle of little F.X.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder what it was like - being away from home for those 3 years? I went to college far from home - but I was always able to come for Christmas and most summers - and it certainly wasn't with bullets flying by either...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...