Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Another Christmas


Looking at the mystery photographs and greeting cards of past generations kept by some members of my family, one thing is obvious: while we each celebrate the day in our own way, there are many similarities in how the day unfolds for each family. Those traditions and customs bind us together, give us something we hold in common.

The settings for the Christmas greetings I posted yesterday and today seem more similar than coincidence would expect. While yesterday’s card was dated 1952, and today’s features a family from 1953, the settings are almost exactly the same. I’m tempted to think these two parties are somehow related—but then I stop myself and think of how many people order the same photo greeting card styles from Costco, or J.C. Penney, or Sears. We may have more patterns from which to choose now, but the idea remains basically the same.

The family looking at you today signed the back of this card just before Christmas, 1953. The signature identifies them as Oliver, Mildred and Carol Ann Stepp.

You’d think that would present a researcher with straightforward marching orders. But that is not the case. Thanks to a spill causing the ink to run on the upper right portion of the signature, I can’t be sure the surname is Stepp. It might be Stapp. Magnifying that portion of the card doesn’t help dismiss that possibility.

Even with that alternate spelling, I haven’t been able to locate any information on Oliver, Mildred and their daughter. Perhaps this one will have to wait for the release of another census—if I can remember that long!

For now, whether you’ve sent your holiday greetings via black and white photo cards or in living color, I hope you have now set aside the hectic hours of preparation and are enjoying the fruit of your labors with those you hold dear.

Merry Christmas!

8 comments:

  1. Stipp, Stapp, Stepp...perhaps someone will stop by someday with a clue:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no, that's right: it could be Stipp, too! I keep hoping for clues, but all I get are looky-loos :(

      Here's hoping next year will bring better hints!

      Delete
  2. Merry Christmas!! I almost forgot! Thanks for all the wonderful comments on my blogs, I always enjoy them.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Far Side, I always appreciate reading your comments here, too--and especially enjoy reading your own blogs. I see you had a wonderful Christmas with your family. Nothing could be better :)

      Delete
  3. Hmm... Too bad there is no indication where this card was sent from/to...

    There are a lot more Stepp's than another version of the name living in the Columbus area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was frustrated too, Iggy, when I couldn't find any location mentioned. It could actually have been sent from anywhere. This being a card from the Bean side of the family, my first guess was California...but knowing there are several branches of that family I've yet to research, it could just as well have been any other state.

      Delete
  4. Find A Grave Memorial# 7076283 seems ... well intriguing. I think W. O. was William Oliver... The McDaniels name seems to ring a bell too..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That did seem like it would have been a match...until I looked for their daughter's name. Carol Ann seems to be the little detail that I hoped would make short order of this search...but apparently I read that one wrong :(

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...