There isn't always a way to find proof for the rest of the story, especially if it involves Irish ancestors during those gaping holes in official records. I tried, but those black holes of record keeping got the best of me, I'm afraid.
I was elated to find signs that perhaps Maria (more likely, Mary) Falvey and John Kerin had married, after all. Seeing both their names listed as godparents for the newborn baby of Mary's likely sister Gobnait Falvey Cullinane gave me the idea to look for a marriage record. If they had, though, it would have been between the birth of Mary's child in 1854 and the baptism of her sister's daughter in April of 1866.
Looking through online records of marriages in the Catholic parish of Kilcummin in County Kerry, my plans were quickly thwarted: according to a reliable source, both records for baptisms and marriages dropped off the face of the earth between 1859 and 1873. And what records I could find before that gaping hole did not seem to contain any entries for the couple.
Next, I pursued what I thought was a brilliant idea: check to see whether Mary and John had any children besides the one entry I had found in 1854. Despite the gap in church records, perhaps if the couple had a large family, as many did then, I could find a child born to them after the beginning of civil registrations in 1864. I headed over to irishgenealogy.ie to check, but couldn't find any likely entries, despite even using the wildcard symbol for the surname as K*r*n, since the many spelling variations led me through nine pages full of possible entries.
I won't yet give up searching for this new branch of the Falvey family, but my eyes are ready to call it quits for now. I'll save some additional attempts for another day.
No comments:
Post a Comment