Saturday, September 19, 2026

A Little Genealogy R & R

 

Since I'm traveling this weekend, I thought it would be the perfect time to take some genealogy R&R. Not that I'm taking a vacation from genealogy, as for the most part, I find building trees to be relaxing. But the tedium of grinding through page after page of handwritten baptismal records from nearly two hundred years ago has worn me down. I need a change of pace.

Tucked away in my computer's tabs is a history, a to-do list of incomplete research projects spun off from prior months' Twelve Most Wanted goals. One project which has been sitting idle since I researched my mother-in-law's fourth great-grandfather Lyman Jackson back in April was building out the branch of all his descendants. With thirteen children who apparently all lived to adulthood, as you can imagine, that branch has included multiple lines of descent.

Best intentions were to continue that work behind the scenes as I wrote posts for subsequent featured ancestors. But when the search for answers for those hard-to-find Irish documents for my father-in-law's line took up all my time, that behind the scenes work shrunk and shriveled until, instead of growing, it withered on that Jackson family branch.

Rather than a tedious process, I've always found building the American branches on the family tree to be rather relaxing. Over this weekend, a little rest and relaxation break with the Jacksons may be just what I need to span the time before I can return home and tackle my father-in-law's hopelessly hidden Irish roots once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment