Monday, August 22, 2022

Clues From Collateral Lines

 

John Stevens, our hard-to-find Irish immigrant from County Mayo, still remains a mystery. Despite finding several Stephens men listed in the Tithe Applotment books for that particular Irish county, I still have nagging thoughts battling with themselves in my mind. I simply have no connection between the records in Ireland and John's sudden appearance in Tippecanoe County, Indiana, after 1850.

Time to look to collateral lines and the genealogical F.A.N. Club for clues. There are several possible resources for these friends and family connections, but even there, I find conflicting leads.

This week, we'll review what I've been able to find on possible connections and examine why they were helpful to find—or, in some cases, why they re-introduced those doubts about John Stevens' supposed Irish roots.

We'll begin tomorrow with an examination of another Stevens man who arrived in Lafayette, Indiana, after having followed the same itinerary John, himself, had reported in his naturalization papers. Following that, we'll launch into exploration of the extended family of John's second wife—a family whose surname made them sound more Scottish than Irish.

True, using collateral lines to help clarify genealogical details may seem more prone to inference than confirmation. Lacking more solid resources, perhaps my only alternative is to see whether I can tease out any leads from what can be learned about these other immigrants. As we close out the month, we'll give this last attempt a try.

4 comments:

  1. Help! I am no longer getting an email from you with this blog. How do I sign up again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya know, Jan, I did think it was getting strangely quiet around here! I had begun wondering the same thing you mentioned, just a few days ago. Come to find out, apparently those handy emails from Blogger haven't been coming out since July 24. Now, that's a problem!

      Blogger did warn people that they were going to discontinue that service. But then...nothing happened. For over a year. I guess we all breathed a sigh of relief. Too soon, apparently.

      So here's my best non-techy advice. Set up what is called an RSS feed. Or just scroll down the left column on this blog until you see the green button that says "Follow on feedly." If you click on that green button, it should lead you to a page to set up your own subscription. No guarantees. As I mentioned when I first posted about this issue, I'm not really a tech whiz...but hopefully the button will do the trick! Please let me know if it works for you :)

      Delete
  2. I've signed up. We'll see how this works. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It hasn't seemed to work. I'll just Google your blog every day.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...