Saturday, May 4, 2019

Now Indexing :
More South Carolina Records


Since I've lately been working on my family roots in the form of the Broyles family from Upcountry South Carolina, it made sense, now that it's time for this weekend's indexing effort, to continue working on the current designated "Restore the Ancestors 2019" project at FamilySearch.org. Right now, the project is dedicated to finishing the collection of Colleton County Marriage Licenses.

Though Colleton County is much closer to the Atlantic coast than my Broyles forebears in Anderson County, it still is part of the same home state.  Besides, my intention in participating in this volunteer indexing group is to help others, not merely myself. So I'm digging in to help wherever possible.

The current designated record set is now over fifty percent indexed. The records are listed as an intermediate level of indexing difficulty, but I found the process rather straightforward, other than having to decipher a few challenging handwriting samples.

By seeing an entire group of volunteers dedicated to making searchable selected record sets which will be of help to people seeking information on their ancestors of African heritage, hopefully, that will speed the process. Already, the 181-member Restore the Ancestors project has indexed over twenty thousand records, an impressive number, considering the project only began in March of this year. Hopefully, the word is still getting out and more people will join in to help. That "many hands make light work" mantra really does make a difference.

7 comments:

  1. I really appreciate all your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Miss Merry. Actually, there is a whole army of volunteers working on all these indexing projects, so what I'm contributing is barely a drop, compared to the bigger picture. That's what makes this process so magical: the combined effort yields some very useful material, but the work per person is not at all overwhelming.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I appreciate the project and all the work, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa! The genealogy community has such a wonderful history of each one helping each other, and this is one notable example of that dynamic.

      Speaking of which, I was just looking at another volunteer-produced genealogy website--Find A Grave--where I was looking up the record for Aaron Broyles. A volunteer had actually posted a quote there from Emmala Reed's journal!

      Delete
    2. Oh I had to go look at that. Very nice! I like to see unusual sources on genealogy sites, colorful additions to the usual set of sources.

      Delete
  3. I just came back from doing some VA records:0

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...