Wednesday, April 3, 2019

A Writer's Block Kind of Day


While people may disappoint, it is also people who lift us up out of our depths. For some of us, the words and actions of others are far more important than any other of life's details. Perhaps that is the case with the recent turn of events I've been experiencing. For those who shared notes of encouragement, you are appreciated more than you could know.

So...what does one do who never fails for words to put on (virtual) paper when those words stop making their appearance? I tried the usual procrastinator's approach: did everything but write. That was easy; Tuesdays are my class days, taking up half the morning in prep and the full afternoon between traveling, training, and after-class talks about what the session covered. But once dinner, dishes, and evening obligations were all clearly dispatched, then what?

I sat down to the computer, having no heart to write—nor to research, alarmingly—and pulled up some busy work on Ancestry, where I keep all the family's trees. I called up my mother-in-law's line, the easiest tree for me to work on, with big Catholic families who stayed in the same neighborhood—or, if they left town, made the move predictably to a new home base for the next several generations. There is something about working on that tree which usually is relaxing to me, so I tried that salve last night, but to no avail. Even doing the mindless work of deleting hints that I generally don't use—usually, other people's family trees and photographs of headstones—didn't help bring me to the point of readiness to write.

What is it about those unexpected experiences which knock the wind out of one's soul? It got me to thinking about what I am going to do about it—then, thinking about strategic planning in general, and then, strategic planning for the process of genealogical work. And I realized something: why, this is a job for the genealogy guinea pig to tackle!

After all, since I am the genealogy guinea pig, instead of clawing my way up to the bottom in my own miserable solitude, perhaps I can talk my way there among friends. Nothing like learning by doing. And "talking" is one way of modeling doing. It's a way of analyzing where I am, and where I need to be. It's a way of talking through the steps of getting from the admittedly miserable "here" and out of the morass into a more acceptable "there."

I've realized that most everyone who does genealogy has had moments when we have phased in and out of pursuing our family history research. Some of the reasons for that are predictable; some, like this instance, are totally unpredictable. While I might be a bit more of a research fanatic than most people—I regularly research upwards of one to three hours daily—over the decades, I've experienced times when that research has had to be set aside. Maybe a conversation on what we've all observed about how we go through those cycles might be productive. At least, it will help me think through what's been happening, and hopefully arrive at some insight on how to reach a less hopeless conclusion.

If you're game, the genealogy guinea pig is certainly game. 

10 comments:

  1. Hang in there. You have had quite a run to date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Iggy! You and Far Side were such an encouragement to me when I first got started. And I still miss your blog, though I totally understand...

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, Jucqi! You always hit the head on the nail! I love genealogy as you know but have set it aside in the last two years. I visit my sites and ancestry trees from time to time but just haven’t been into it as I was. I want to be. I always have that thought in the back of my mind of what would happen to all the data I have if I should die? No one would would step up and take over. No one would pass it on.... then I remember how much it means to me , now and in this lifetime. Lol. I bet when I get to Heaven, those names on a sheet of paper will be the faces that greet me. I’ll know them, thou never met mist of them .
    Then there’s my story’s. I love to write and share my thoughts and adventures of my life. I see in the stats that people read my blog, but do they like it? Who knows.???
    I love doing it because it’s my therapy most of the time! You take care and keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Betty, you do have a story, and it is one that was shared to help others, too. Writing is therapy, and I know in helping others, it must have helped you see your way through a real trial on your part. I guess it really is an issue of seasons of life, in a way. I hope you do get back to these things which have always given you joy. But all in its own good time... Thank you so much for your encouragement!

      Delete
  3. It has been a great ride following along on your genealogical hunts, most recently on your King Stockton quest.

    For me there has been 2 "What?" moments in my own reseach, neither of which (thankfully) were of the type that would lead me to reconsider what I'm doing.

    First was this:
    After discussing the ancestor of another regular visitor at the local archives, and thinking of ways to get further on that line of hers, I some time later look at one of my own neglected lines, and find out I have this particular ancestor in my own tree.
    Told her about this, and we discover we also share his son and grandson... (there were reasons why I hadn't worked on this line earlier, and on previous occasions we hadn't really talked about his children, we had mostly been trying to get further back.)

    Second was when I found out that one of my ancestors had gotten himself caught up in the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_Unrest and spent a few months in custody while the whole mess was investigated by the authorities.
    He was accused of (amongst other things) throwing rocks at windows, and looting a store. Since he wasn't among the major players he was released after a few months, and the final verdict said more or less that there was not enough evidence for a guilty charge.
    Researching his part in this was not easy, and I believe I got the best info from the newspaper reports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know everyone is different, Per, but these two instances from your own research experience would be just the details which would propel me into further research! Sometimes, such discoveries are more disconcerting if discovered at specific times, but at other times, such things might not be so disturbing. Then, too, I think of all those people who, eager to test their DNA, come face to face with a discovery they would rather not know about.

      Genealogy should definitely come, attached with appropriate warning signs. But since we can't predict what foibles our ancestors were involved in, we enter this pursuit, wide open for being blindsided.

      Still, I'm glad you've enjoyed the ride, following along on my own genealogical adventures. And I've certainly appreciated your assistance in those moments when I've needed consultation on translations!

      Delete
  4. Though I write only private journals, I know that writing (my way of talking) is deeply therapeutic. And when I find a public writer like yourself, and a few others who write about very disparate fields, who seem to have messages directed straight toward me - that is therapy also. "Blessing" might be a better word.

    Because you are analytical and truth-seeking, I have no doubt you will find your way to the right steps, leading to a better place. And this current experience will only add to your already considerable tool bag - meaning all the tools you have acquired to help other people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting to see how many see writing as a therapeutic way of "talking" through problems, Lisa. That seems to be a common thread among us here. Perhaps that is one wavelength we have all intuited in this online space.

      Delete
  5. Relax, sometimes we try to hard to write perfect blogs...take a deep breath and let the words flow out your fingers:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Far Side. I think I'm in need of quite a few really deep breaths! And maybe a getaway to Hawaii wouldn't be such a bad idea, either ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...