Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Nameless Faces


Two girls, whose likenesses have been captured for all to see, have nonetheless been passed down through history with the dubious fortune of having their names omitted.

By the very fact that they are included in my aunt’s possessions gives me the clue that they belong to the Davis family. Thankfully, the inclusion of the photographer’s stamp supports my contention—this is a photograph from that little town of my maternal grandfather’s origin: Erwin, Tennessee.

There is writing on the back of this cabinet card. That would be an encouraging note, except for the fact that the writing is so faint, I can’t read it. Perhaps with some technical prowess in magnifying the thing, I can decipher the secrets this card hides.

Perhaps, if it is from the Davis family of Erwin, it represents two of my grandfather’s sisters. Could it be Mabel and Lummie?

Or is it merely the gift of a neighbor or family friend, passing along a token of their friendship to the Davis family, in exchange for a like presentation?

4 comments:

  1. Those two girls hardly look alike - the photo is so haunting that the eyes seem to peer out and into the viewer. I wanted to say the one on the right reminds me of you grannie... but then I thought, no.. the one on the left does... and then... no.. the right one... and then I came to the brilliant idea that they both were. :) Now that solves that huh!!!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did occur to me that the differences between these two girls are no more extreme than the difference between my aunt and my mother. But the time period and clothing styles would be way off there. I'm just going to have to try to read that faint handwriting on the back of the photograph.

      Delete
  2. Scan the photo and then add some contrast in a photo editing program and see if that helps you to read wht is on the back:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Far Side! I'll have to try that. Here's hoping what's written provides some help!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...