Tuesday, August 30, 2011

More Dockery Results

Search engines are the genealogy researcher’s best friend. My particular favorite flavor is Google, where this morning I was continuing my quest to find out more about the Dockery family of Mequon in Ozaukee County, Wisconsin. On about the third or fourth page of Google results, I overturned a cache of cemetery records that yielded what must have been the family plot at St.Francis Borgia Catholic Cemetery.

There were more than enough Dockerys to keep me busy. At least, there were several more than those I had already unearthed.

As if that weren’t enough, I continued down that Google path and found a free site where volunteers transcribe historic newspapers, and located the funeral information for Charles and Agnes Dockery’s father Michael, further confirming some relationships.

Instead of wandering about the pages and pages of Google findings, I don’t know why it hadn’t occurred to me first to go straight to that reliable source, Find A Grave, to check out these family relationships. Perhaps the meandering mood evolved from having started down this bunny trail as a mere quirk: the inability to resist the temptation to piece together someone’s roots, even if they weren’t my own.

And yet, still no date on Julia. Perhaps it is requisite that every family have a mystery person.

Photo courtesy Find A Grave contributor David M.Habben.

3 comments:

  1. I am a Find a Grave volunteer and there is so much you can learn about your family genealogy on that one site. Great post today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you are looking for Julia's death date?

    Here's a little tidbit I found:

    "The Cedarburg News
    Date: March 11 1891

    Mr. John O'LEARY and Miss Julia DOCKERY took a trip to Chicago last week to visit Mr. Michael DOCKERY of Rush Medical College and other relatives."

    http://www.newspaperabstracts.com/link.php?action=detail&id=74180

    I'll see if I can uncover anything else. If Julia got remarried even at a late age, it would complicate the search.

    ReplyDelete
  3. According to this:

    http://files.usgwarchives.org/wi/ozaukee/cemetery/photo-indexes/mequon-stfrancisborgiacatholic.txt Julia is buried in this cemetery. You are so close! If you create a FindAGrave memorial for her - leave the death date blank - and then request a photo - someone may very well supply you with one within a week. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...