Monday, October 29, 2018

Time to Search for Family


Sometimes, the to-do list piles up so much, the mess can be paralyzing. I now am searching for descendants of the subjects in several family photographs. If I don't intensify this effort, I'm afraid I'll get lost in the pile-up of surnames.

So far, I'm looking for descendants of Samuel Tucker and his wife, Annie Goodmanand especially anyone who can solve the mystery of just who "Dollie" Goodman, sister of Annie, might have been. I'm also looking for another Goodman child, daughter Eva, whose first husband Leslie Earl Purkey was the subject of another photo I found.

In fact, if I could find anyone related to the Purkey family, that would be grand. I have photographs of Erastus and Rebecca Lewis Purkey and their children which I would love to send home, too. Not to mention, there are the photographs of Fuller family descendants of two generations, starting with Pleasant Purkey Fuller and her firstborn son Tarance, to Pleasant's daughter Tressa and her babe, as well.

I do not have the patience to just post a photograph online and hope someone finds this "cousin bait" and comes calling. Instead, I go searching through family trees online and go knocking on the electronic doors of fellow researchers who have included such names in their family trees. I send them a message and then wait, holding my breath. (At least, that's what it feels like.)

And then...wait some more.

Hopefully, later this week, we'll hear from someone with a tip on where I can mail the photographs. I know some of the researchers online have well-researched trees, but most of the trees I've found belong to people who are, at best, more distant relatives. Perhaps I can enlist them in the search to send these photographs home. Or maybe it will suffice to send the photos to people who appreciate the rich heritage of their family associations.

In the meantime, there is more to explore in the photograph collection I stumbled upon in that antique shop in Sonora, California. On to more Purkey family relatives.

4 comments:

  1. Have you thought of posting a couple on Facebook.... it has a wide audience that is not necessarily genealogy....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good point, although just posting it on my own Facebook page doesn't usually yield much help, as I am not that active on Facebook. However, targeting those posts to specific genealogy groups on Facebook does bring better results. That's how I managed to return that photo album back to a family in Ireland last year. I think I got my answer within about 24 hours of having posted my request. Same for the photo of those two adorable little boys from Quebec. Facebook and other social media are definitely powerful resources!

      Delete
  2. Anything is possible. The scalloped edges of the Cabinet Card indicate 1890's...but the photographer could have saved that kind of card stock. Cabinet Cards were not real popular past 1900. The womens clothing looks more late 1880's than early 1900s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering about that scalloped edge on the photograph of the large family. If I have the right family, the youngest child in the photo would have been born in 1900. Then, too, the town where the photograph was taken was a very small town. Possibly the photographer was still using old stock?

      I wondered, also, about the clothing. It didn't seem like styles around 1900. Thanks for weighing in on this, Far Side. It might be back to the drawing board for this project. I'm having trouble locating any family members who might have other photographs of this family and could provide guidance.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...