Sunday, January 17, 2016

Now Indexing:
Cook County, Illinois Death Certificates


You can return to indexing at FamilySearch.org, but that doesn't mean your selected collection will return to you. Apparently, there are now time limits to how long you can work on a collection. And my time ran out on Chicago's Northern District Petitions for Naturalization file. Traveling out of state last week didn't help, when it comes to getting one's work done. My time was up. The file was removed from my account. Poof.

However, I can redeem myself in this renewed indexing fervor by working on another file I just signed up for: Cook County, Illinois, Death Certificates, 1878-1922. If you sense a trend here, I'm selecting projects for the Chicago area because they dovetail nicely with my own family history research goals. It's easy to find something that fits those goals; just take a spin through the "Find an Indexing Project" page at FamilySearch.org.

So far, I'm forty percent of the way through my batch of this death certificate collection. Roughly, that means if the batch served up to me was estimated to take about thirty minutes to complete, with less than fifteen minutes of work, I can dispatch this project to arbitration nirvana, where someone else can fret over my mistakes. Face it: though no one's perfect, I'm likely to give that double-checking second set of eyes a double-strength headache. But at least I try. And am learning.

Actually, in less time than it takes to write a blog post, I can easily index an entire batch of records—a small contribution toward making yet more digitized historical documents searchable for the researching public, for free. So why take any more time to blather on about the virtues of volunteering for a program such as this? I'll just get busy indexing...

...and hope you'll join me!



Above: 1911 oil on canvas by American artist Willard Leroy Metcalf, "Cornish Hills." Courtesy Wikipedia; in the public domain.

10 comments:

  1. I am tempted, I went there and read FAQ and how to! That is a start! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! Yes, Far Side, it is definitely a positive start! Maybe this will be just the thing to get you through those weary winter afternoons...

      Delete
  2. I've recovered my password and now can log into the site. I think indexing some Massachusetts - Boston— Passenger Lists Index, 1899–1940 is intriguing - some of my folks are in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really neat to focus on an area in which you have a vested interest. Not only is it helping others, but you are actually helping your own research. Plus, it's fun to wander around the "raw data" and get a feel for the "neighborhood." Wouldn't it be great to run across some of your folks while you are indexing those Boston passenger lists?!

      Delete
  3. Presently I'm spending time on a database on inscriptions I need to still do some indexing though. I've made a start with about 50 names indexed this year. Thank for you article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Grant! What's exciting about this is that, in the aggregate, we can each do a tiny bit--whatever we can contribute--and it will add up to something useful for a large group of people over time. That is definitely multiplying our effort!

      Delete
  4. It's been a couple of years since I've indexed for FamilySearch, but I really enjoyed it, and Chicago death certificates would definitely be up my alley. (I had quite a bit of family there as well!) Good reminder to look into indexing again... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're getting back into indexing, Melanie. I ended up drifting away from it, as well, but remembered how much help a little bit of my time could be, in the long view. I've noticed there always seems to be a document set from Chicago area.

      Delete
  5. WELL I gave it a whirl and indexed Draft records from Pennsylvania. Interesting, I think I will continue...not that I needed another project but sometimes you just need to volunteer doing something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I love about indexing is that you can take it in such small batches. That makes it so do-able.

      So glad to hear you jumped in and gave it a try, Far Side!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...