Saturday, October 10, 2026

As Promised, Another Update

 

Somehow, in the back of my recent memory, I recalled seeing a notice from Ancestry.com mentioning that they would soon be releasing an update to their DNA ethnicity report, which they call Origins. Since I usually reserve the weekends for checking my DNA matches, I thought I'd pop over there after attending to a few details regarding the descendants of my Radomski ancestors.

Nothing, however, is ever easy. I found yet another sibling of Susanna, my second great-grandmother, who had married and had several children—some of whom actually lived to adulthood, a feat which I'm realizing was a rare occurrence back in my paternal ancestors' homeland.

That brought on a back-and-forth process of gleaning the data from the PTG website, adding it to my Ancestry tree, then stepping over to FamilySearch.org and adding the same name and date to my tree there, then scouring the resources there in search of any documentation.

There was plenty to keep me busy.

At the end of the session, I thought, "I'll just take a quick look over at my ThruLines for this surname," and jumped back to Ancestry. The minute I clicked on the "DNA" tab, I knew it wasn't going to be a quick look. The drop-down menu sported a green "updated" sign right next to "Origins." It was just what I was waiting for. And sooner than I expected.

Since I am currently working on my father's roots, that became my first stop. Part of this update is apparently the addition of a section devoted to origins by grandparent, information imputed by them without need for any further testing on my part. This, Ancestry has accomplished partly by looking at a person's matches which have already been identified by side of family—which is why they mentioned that this may not be possible right now for those who only have a few matches. 

In addition, Ancestry has apparently expanded their Polish subregions, enough so that I believe I can already discern which paternal grandparent contributed which subregion of Polish heritage to me. The line I'm working on this month—my paternal grandfather's side—is centered mostly in Pomerania, which Ancestry is simply labeling as "Northern Poland." Apparently, at some point, I will be able to fill in the line labeled "edit label" to identify Grandparent 2 as my father's father. But for now, the "coming soon" disclaimer tells me I'll just have to wait.

With that, I'll pass that waiting time by going back to the original task I had planned for today: checking out ThruLines to see whether anything new showed up for matches on my Radomski line. 

No comments:

Post a Comment