Tuesday, April 2, 2019

When the Joy is Gone


Sometimes, something happens which, like a stab in the chest or having your wind knocked out, takes all the joy out of a pursuit that used to be a constant source of happiness. That something just happened to me, and I'm not really sure what to do next.

Genealogy has been a lifelong joy to me. I've always wanted to know about my roots. And I've wanted to share that joy with others—and to help them make their own discoveries. While it is admittedly fun to poke around online and explore the many genealogical resources we have available now, I cut my research teeth on card catalogs that really had cards, and dusty archives where we examined hundred-year-old documents or cranked through nauseating microfilm reel after reel. It didn't matter which way the research: the challenge was always enticing. In case you haven't noticed from the 2,887 posts I've made each day since May 8, 2011, that's the kind of joy which has always kept me going.

When something happens to knock that inner joy out of me, it has to be huge. And it was. Dream-killing.

I'm in a no-man's-land of desire lost to research today. Hopefully, those things unraveled will be put back together again. Hopefully. But in the meantime, I need to take a pass for today. I hope you will understand.

12 comments:

  1. Very sorry hope all will be back to an even keep soon will keep you in my prayers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you’re scaring me. Hugs and prayers winging your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We care Jacqi and pray you will find the leading you need no matter the direction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear this. I recently made a shocking discovery myself, that I could easily imagine would take the joy out of genealogy. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Jacqi, I really am sorry to hear this. Please take good care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jacqui, we understand. I hope things look brighter soon. Know you have a lot of friends on this page and we all enjoy your company. (hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  7. May the joy of the pursuit reenter your heart and lift your spirit. In the meantime I'd like to share with you that your enthusiasm and revelations have positively impacted my interest and participation in genealogy research.

    Like you, I was one of those who began my research using the microfiche at the main library in Miami after reading a 1982 newspaper article announcing that the 1910 Census was available for public review. I took notes at home and in the library. The librarians were very helpful and gave me good advise on honing in on specific families. I found the research fascinating and was thrilled with every new discovery. However, eventually my enthusiasm faded.

    Fast forward to the ages of Ancestry, Familysearch and DNA. Although I was lukewarm about personal searches, I'd check items for friends and family and work a little on my family trees. Knowing about my general interest in genealogy, my granddaughter and a distant cousin urged me to submit a DNA test, so I did. But, I did not use the results to look at DNA matches past fourth cousins. And, I would only look at fourth cousins if a known relative's child/grandchild said that they had DNA results on Ancestry or GEDmatch.

    That noted, there was a question about the kinship between two family members in what I call generation 3 in my family. I put together a family tree to visualize what had been given to me by one of the ancestor's descendants, what the records unfolded, and what I had about the other ancestor. My conclusions were in hand and I thought that I had the definitive answer. Then came my communications with you.

    You opened the door to the truths that distant cousin DNA matches from total strangers count and can be significant; and, that historical context really does matter.

    Long story, short: your research, blog, insight and awareness have been very valuable in renewing my interest in genealogy in general, and have fostered a deeper appreciation for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s statement, "All men are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly."

    Be encouraged and know that you're in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your work and your writings are so valuable, at many levels. I pray this current trouble will resolve, pass, and in the end simply add more fuel to your fire.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear this. Prayers being lifted up for you and the family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perhaps I can help a tiny bit. Did you see my comments on your December 11 blog post, “Setting the Wedding Date”?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you get some joy back soon! My middle name is Joy...sending you a hug:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...